Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Monhegan: Buoy Shapes - Pyramid Poem

Buoy Shapes on the Grass
waiting for October 1st's trap day on Monhegan Island, Maine
on September 28, 2013, sketched on October 15, 2013
9" x 6" framed, $300

Photo of a buried rock in the sand on Fish Beach
on Monhegan Island, Maine taken on September 26, 2013


The Pyramid of Monhegan 
by Bruce McMillan

 Uncovered by the tidal flow
among the gritty shifting sand
a pyramid emerged to show
a perfect place for algae and...

...the Egypt of Monhegan Isle
where lobster fisher Pharaohs float
their dinghies on Monhegan's Nile
to rule the ocean under boat.


Poem text and photo copyright 2013, Bruce McMillan
contact Bruce McMillan for use and permissions

2 comments:

betty.bone@gmail.com said...

Bruce I love all of your poems and art. You inspire me. I write poems but I can't think of how to illustrate them.

Betty Bone Schiess

Bruce McMillan said...

Thanks Betty, I often start with the image and the idea and let the words bounce around to where I'm going. -Bruce