Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Likin' Lichens in the Sun

"You can do anything; it's a painting."
-Teague McMillan, age 9, in Venice, Italy, May 2014 


I always hear the voice of Grandson Teague when I paint. -Bruce

 Likin' Lichens in the Sun
on the rocks on Buðey Island in Bjarneyjar, Iceland
on July 16, 2014, sketched plein air on July 16, 2014
7" x 5", Winsor & Newton watercolors, on 140 lb.
Fabriano Artistico cold press fine grain 100% cotton watercolor paper
unframed, sold framed, $100 plus $5.50 sales tax plus $10 shipping

Island Sun
  It was a gray rainy day when I painted while sitting on a rock,
some open sky in the distance but solid gray elsewhere,
this photo taken from where I was painting.
I  painted imagining the sun . . .
and then . . .
 Voilà, four minutes of sun through a hole in the clouds. 
Look at that! A sunny day out here is rich time.
In the four-minute sun, 
common eider ducks swam by with the tide high
between Buðey and Höfði, again taken from the rock
I was sitting on with my point and shoot camera.

No comments: