Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Grandfather and Granddaughter . . .

Grandfather and Granddaughter,  
Óli and Þórdís
in the far north of Iceland, Vopnafjörður, Iceland
on July 22, 2014, sketched on July 23, 2014
9" x 7", pen, on 140 lb. cold press Tiger watercolor paper

unframed, sold framed, $100 plus $5.50 sales tax plus $10 shipping

Why a Drawing Today?
While traveling in Iceland my watercolor brushes and palette were lost in transit in Borganes so no watercolors for a while, sigh; now we'll see how creative Brucie can be. I was bummed for just a bit, then quickly took on the creative challenge. Until I return to the US, I still have paper and pen for drawing, and who knows what else in another bag when I get back to Reykjavik; oh a fun challenge. Also on the same day on the same trip my Nikon D610 fell out of its case onto the pavement; it's not working, so it's off to Nikon Repair upon my return to the US. Just stuff. I can still create. And so it goes.


One of the thoughts I play often in my mind, a mantra of sorts: The secret to a successful life is to take what seems to be a disadvantage and turn it into an advantage.

A Guest Poem by one of my email Postcard of the Day Readers:
Ode to an Icelandic Poet
by PCoD reader Dee

There once was an artist named Bruce
Whose camera, when put to good use,
Was his source of creative juice.
When it dropped from its case
Bruce made, oh, a long face
The Nikon had parts now quite loose!
To compound this bad thing, occurred,
His palette and brushes, I heard
We're lost along the way,
Borganes, to his stay,
So the state of his blog, absurd!

1 comment:

martine paquet said...

What a beautiful sketch! You have captured in a few lines a wonderful moment: a "free" (grandfather not looking ;-) and playful little girl .
You do not need watercolor!