Tuesday, August 2, 2022

When the Sunlight Danced

When the Sunlight Danced

at the top of Mount Agamenticus at the 2nd Annual Mount Agamenticus Plein Air Paint Out in York, Maine painted plein air July 30, 2022, 20" x 14" (w x h), Daniel Smith, Schmincke Horadam, and Winsor & Newton watercolors, selected for light fastness and permanence, and Uniball waterproof fade proof ink on 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico cold press rough 100% cotton extra white watercolor paper, framed, $500

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Painting Shadows in Shadow

Visual Essay

1
I had so much fun with this. After setting up on this hot day in tree shadows, a strong cool breeze blowing atop the mountain, I was ready to paint the trees before me. But I was mesmerized by the shadows dancing on my paper from the blowing branches above me. And so I went with it...

2
They danced and danced.

3
So while the sun shined through the blowing branches, I panted the dance of the trees.

4
And so my view was not in front of me, but cascading down from above, and I had a blast painting "When the Sunlight Danced".

5
Meanwhile, Justine Springer was painting Mt. Agamenticus North Face in acrylic beside me for the 2nd Annual Mount Agamenticus Plein Air Paint Out. Her web site is HERE. Note the color of her rocks and the color in them in the photo above. I spy a lovely pink. Meanwhile, beyond these trees, down  below us and looking up at them from the other side was another painter.

6
Caren Klein was painting the same trees from the other side, Big "A" with water soluble oils. what I found intriguing was how these two artist painting the same trees and rocks independent of each other, both used lovely pinks in the rocks, which was their view of these gray rocks. And as my grandson once said, "It's a painting; you can do anything." And they chose the same anythings. Caren Klein's website is HERE.

Art is so satisfying.

No comments: