Friday, August 12, 2022

Friday Night Art Walk Familiarity

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Friday Night Art Walk Familiarity


For the First Friday Art Walk in Rockland Maine, August 5, 2022, Main Street is closed to traffic. I stroll by the Strand movie theater with its 1950s marquee where I'd seen fine artist Connie Hayes give an illustrated talk only a few years ago, and many years ago in the early 1970s I'd come off McGee Island, where I was the caretaker, for the evening to see The Sting.

1
In the Farnsworth Museum I'm moved by the fabulous and extensive exhibition up for the rest of this year of my friend, Ashley Bryan. There are photos of his home and I am transported back to my visits, going over his books. I still have all of his eloquent handwritten letters. And to see his joyous paintings makes my heart soar. The exhibit truly captures the positive essence of Ashley, and I can hear his voice. See the Museum posting of this HERE.

In the next room I view Andrew Wyeth works, tempura and watercolors. About fifteen years ago I happened upon Andrew in this room, just the two of us, and we chatted about Walt Anderson, his lifelong Port Clyde friend and model, and my friend on the dock every time came ashore from McGee Island. Walt always checked on and commented on my son Brett's height since the last time we'd come ashore. And here's Walt showing up in a painting again.

2
Family Picnic
Andrew Wyeth, (1917-2009) American
Watercolor on paper, 1939
Farnsworth Museum Rockland, Maine

At Little Caldwell Island in Port Clyde, left to right, Carolyn Wyeth, Ann Wyeth McCoy, Betsy James (his future wife), N.C. Wyeth, and Walt Anderson.

Boating to and from McGee Island, I used to pass by Little Caldwell in the distance. It was the 1970s and sometimes I see Andrew in the distance on an island painting.

Looking back at his early years painting in Maine, Andrew Wyeth recalled, "I did as many as six watercolors a day and might get one or two that came off." I identify with Wyeth's approach to watercolors.

3
Study for Bear Island
Fairfield Porter, (1907-1975) American
Oil on canvas

I've always admired Fairfield Porter's art. This one reminds me of my island life in Maine. I recall looking at the paintings that Porter did in Stonington, Maine, where I'd come from this morning. And researching where he'd painted there, and painting from the same or nearby location.

4
Stonington (top left 20" x 18" w x h)
Emily Lansingh Muir, (1904-2002) American
Stone mosaic, 148" x 28" (w x h), circa 1960
See the full panel HERE

I always stop and enjoy Emily's 12' long mosaic mural made from beach stones she'd found on Deer Isle. We'd met so many years ago when I was working in Public Television and we'd interviewed her in her home about the many homes he'd designed on Deer Isle, fascinating artist. This morning I'd walked by her husband William's sculpture at the Stonington Public Dock of a granite stone cutter. Emily's mosaic pleasures me every time.

From the Museum I walk by a storefront that used to be the hardware store where I got McGee Island supplies as the caretaker. The counter was at the far back of the store. I recall my five-year-old son, Brett, running back, excited that he'd seen some birds that he'd never seen before. He wanted me to come before they left. Living on the island he could identify Bald Eagles, Ospreys, chickadees and so many more. When I caught up to him outside the door, I beheld his new found species, pigeons.

I stopped by Dowling Walsh Gallery, where I came upon work by the artist, whose Stonington cottage I'd spent the last two nights in. I'd just spent the last two days painting and visiting with her brother and his family, and her mom, my children's book author friend, all summering in Stonington. I recall contemplating the wrap-around cloth for the bathroom sink in Jenny's cottage this morning, it was a pattern of irregular large dots. And then I saw this and smiled.

5
Dotted Shade, 6/1, 5:36 am
Jenny Brillhart, (1972- ) American
Oil on panel, 14" x 20" (w x h), $3,700
Dowling Walsh Gallery, Rockland, Maine

And I also smiled when my eyes feasted on another of her reality based abstract art that include son Malcolm's basketball. See more of Jenny's art and perhaps Malcolm's basketball at the Dowling Walsh Gallery HERE. I have a painting of Jenny's in my home, a gift.

On to the next gallery, Caldbeck Gallery, and who do I find there for his opening, David Dewey. I've taken three of David's workshops in years past. And it was great to see David recovered from his bicycle accident and take in his "recovery" watercolors from the past two years. I have paintings by David in my home, as well as paintings I've done of him during his class.

6
Bruce McMillan, left and David Dewey, right, and between them...
Chickawaukie from Beech Hill
Watercolor on paper, 22" x 5" (w x h), 2020
From the Sketchbook - Watercolors (2020-2022
David Dewey, American
Caldbeck Gallery, Rockland, Maine
See this one and the exhibit's watercolors HERE

In the next part of the gallery I was treated to another smile from 95-year-old Lois Dodd, whose work I've admired for years.

7
Untitled (Two Nudes, One Sawing)
Lois Dodd, (1927- ) American
Oil on panel, 16" x 11" (w x h), 2003
Working Women and By the River
Caldbeck Gallery, Rockland Maine
See the paintings HERE.

Heading to the Center for Contemporary Art in Maine I discovered yet another Lois Dodd painting, one that took me back to the Maine woods.

8
Sunlight on Spruce at Noon
Lois Dodd, (1927- ) American
Oil on Linen, 1974
Center for Contemporary Art in Maine, Rockland, Maine

As I continued on with my drive home, and thinking about the art and people connections of this day, I'm reminded that... I'm having a fortunate life.

No comments: