Friday, October 27, 2023

Seaside Low Tide Aside

Seaside Low Tide Aside

at Timber Point in the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge, Biddeford, Maine painted plein air on Aug 8, 2023, 7" x 5" (w x h), Daniel Smith, Schmincke Horadam, and Winsor & Newton watercolors, selected for light fastness and permanence, and Uniball waterproof fade proof ink on 140 lbs. Fabriano Artistico cold press rough 100% cotton extra white watercolor paper, framed.
$150

Plein air work in progress at Timber Point, Biddeford, Maine on August 8, 2023

My plein air setup with a hard-as-a-rock chair.

When painting plein air, I often work on more than one painting, needing some drying time for each work to dry since I layer on color, wet on dry. Other times there's a chance to inspire a new generation of plein air painters.

When a family stops by to chat while I'm painting, it's a fine time to stop and wait for my art to dry for layering. Plus, it's an opportunity for young artists to paint. I always have 5" x 7" watercolor blocks handy. Will and Emma with their parents stopped by chat and see my paintings in progress. Of course I offered Will and Emma the opportunity to paint too, using my brushes and bright color paints to create their own art. I offered them some sparse advice while the painted. I always remember my art classes when in was in the 5th grade with Frank Hamabe at the Bangor Daily News.

No comments: