Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Botanical Gardens Pond Adventure

-- Unique Dual Art Essay --

Botanical Gardens Pond Adventure

painted together with Bruce McMillan and Erica Qualey, plein air, June 10, 2023, 15" x 11" (w x h), watercolor, graphite and ink, on 140 lbs. Fabriano Artistico cold press rough 100% cotton extra white watercolor paper.
NFS

Erica's website HERE and Instagram HERE.

When I arrived at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, Boothbay Harbor, Maine on Saturday June 10, 2023 to participate in the New England Watercolor Society plein air event, I set up my tripods. But I discovered that I had the lid to my watercolor tray, but the tray with all my watercolors was still two hours away at home in Shapleigh. While chatting with Erica Qualey, a talented artist, she asked me, "Want to paint together?" "Together?"

1
photo: Denna Ball, thanks Deena (website)

Erica is left-handed. I'm right handed. We could paint on the same paper standing side by side.

2

Erica paints with a round (pointed) brush. I paint with a flat brush. Erica sketched with her pencil. I sketched with my ink pen. Different styles were merging.

3
photo: Denna Ball, thanks again Deena (website)

We painted at the same time, both brushes on different parts of the paper, and we painted taking turns; it all flowed.

4

It was a beautiful scene overlooking Slater Forest Pond with spots of color everywhere.

5

And it was truly surprising how well we worked together, having only met on that day. The time went by so fast. We were having a great time painting, so much fun, our minds totally engaged.

6
See a 7 second
time lapse video of the painters flurry of activity painting...



7

We both agreed that it was a blast, and a unique way of thinking when painting. Perhaps one might compare it to two pianists improvising while playing on one piano sitting side-by-side. To see two accomplished painters doing this watch the Alvaro Castagnet and Joseph Zbukvic Watercolor Demonstration on You Tube HERE (24:58).

Once again, this time the disaster of having left my watercolor paint behind, my everyday thought proves true: The secret to a successful life is to take what seems to be a disadvantage and turn it into and advantage. (Thanks Erica)



No comments: