Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Skips Winning Fist Bump - Essay

Skips Winning Fist Bump

with John Schuster and the Chinese Skip
at the concession during the USA vs China
Olympic curling match (USA 8 - CHN 6) on
February 13, 2022, painted February 13, 2022,
7" x 5" (w x h), Daniel Smith, Schmincke Horadam,
and Winsor & Newton watercolors, selected for light
fastness and permanence, and Uniball waterproof fade
proof ink on 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico cold press rough
100% cotton extra white watercolor paper,
framed, $150

Watercolor Painting and the Sketch

This, below, is what I painted first, a study...


Skips Winning Fist Bump Sketch Study
with John Schuster and the Chinese Skip
painted February 13, 2022

This was my first study, a sketch. In it I figured out what worked; hence it's overworked. But I was painting it truer to the scene rather than fully interpreting it. By doing this I figure out what works, and what I'm doing. This took three times as long as the finished painting, since I was figuring things out. Once I knew where I wanted to go, the final painting flowed.

So, after spending a lot of time on the sketch, I dashed off the final watercolor. It takes a study and practice to get to the simplicity of looseness, and the art of leaving out. Perhaps many people would see the study as the finished art because it's more realistic, like a photo. But I'm painting a painting, not reproducing a photograph. I had my career taking photographs for my many children's books, satisfying in its own way. Watercolor painting is a whole new way of interpreting what I see, so involving and satisfying in its own way. And as my Grandson Teague said years ago, "It's a painting. You can do anything."

When someone asks how long did it take to paint that watercolor, as you can see, there's no simple answer, is there?


No comments: