Monday, July 20, 2015

Hvalsnes House Evening Light Studies

Hvalsnes House Evening Light I
in Iceland on the Reykanes Peninsula
plein air on July 17, 2015
12" x 9", Winsor & Newton and Holbein watercolors, and
Uniball waterproof fade proof ink on 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico
cold press rough 100% cotton watercolor paper
framed, sold framed, $170 plus $9.35 sales tax plus $15.65 shipping = $195.00


Hvalsnes House Evening Light II
Quick, ten minute sketch afterwards
in Iceland on the Reykanes Peninsula
plein air on July 17, 2015
7" x 5", Winsor & Newton and Holbein watercolors, and
Uniball waterproof fade proof ink on 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico
cold press fine grain 100% cotton watercolor paper
framed, sold framed, $100 plus $5.50 sales tax plus $9.50 shipping = $115.00

Plein Air Painting in Iceland
 
1
I painted with my friend Óskar Thorarensen,
a fine watercolor painter here in Iceland.

2
It was late evening light on the Reykanes Peninsula.

3
I laughed aloud when I saw the brush Óskar was using.
"I use this brush all the time. It's one of my favorite brushes.
It has just the stiffness when I paint. See?" I was still laughing
because it wasn't made for fine art painting. It was a gift item to
promote the John Singer Sargent show at the MFA in Boston,
a brush at one end and a pencil at the other,
and I'd gotten one for Óskar.

4
I'm always intrigued by Óskar's
 signature style, how he paints on the tilt,
using gravity with wet to drip down through whatever
to the bottom of the scene.

5
Óskar quick brush strokes give him plenty of time to pause and think.
He set up in the open. I chose to set up in the shadow of the sun,
not, not really, in the shadow of the wind, always
a good choice in Iceland.

6
Óskar's Finished Art
I admired his rendering of the house, fine drawing, and subtle light.
He admired my sky, "You caught the sense of the light.

7
We both enjoyed the grass effect 
when I set up his art to photograph it.
I love the long shadow light of Iceland.

See Óskar's Art Bog and more of his art HERE


No comments: