Monday, March 24, 2014

Snowy Wood Sunset Illumination II


Snowy Wood Sunset Illumination II
by the fields behind my home in Shapleigh, Maine
on March 21, 2014, sketched on March 24, 2014
10" x 8", Winsor & Newton watercolors, #3 graphite, on 140 lb.
Strathmore Series 500 cold press archival watercolor paper
Painted entirely with a Princeton Neptune #20 watercolor brush, a very large brush 
Note: 
I painted this after I'd worked out the basic elements by painting a more detailed study the day before. It helps me in placing the image in my mind in simpler graphic form so that I'm able to paint the finished work with minimal brush strokes. I'm painting an impression of the scene, tending towards the abstract. It's a painting; if I want a reproduction of the scene a photo will suffice.
        I'm amused at how this approach seems to be the reverse of many artists, whose lose sketches get the basics and then they add the details in the final art. I'm often drawn more to their sketches than the finished pictorial art; it's more of an impression.

unframed, sold framed, $100 plus $5.50 sales tax plus $10 shipping

Reference photo

No comments: