Thursday, January 14, 2016

Red Amaryllis Composition


Red Amaryllis Composition
of a bloom set out on my deck railing in Shapleigh, Maine
on January 14, 2016, sketched on January 14, 2016
7" x 5", Winsor & Newton and Holbein watercolors, and
Uniball waterproof fade proof ink on 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico
cold press fine grain 100% cotton watercolor paper
framed, $100 + $5.50 sales tax + $9.50 shipping = $115.00



Twinkling Reds
 by Bruce McMillan

Amaryllis in the sky,
how I wonder why you are
up and blooming, winter bright,
beautiful, yet quite bizarre.

poem © 2016 Bruce McMillan


Reference photo 

3 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

SIMPLY Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This has a beautiful abstract quality and wonderful composition. The rich darks and peeks of light remind me of paintings by Olin Redon.

Bruce McMillan said...

Ah, Odilon Redon (1840-1916), French, the noted artist who I was unfamiliar with, and who said "I have often, as an exercise and as a sustenance, painted before an object down to the smallest accidents of its visual appearance; but the day left me sad and with an unsatiated thirst. The next day I let the other source run, that of imagination, through the recollection of the forms and I was then reassured and appeased."