Sunday, April 5, 2015

Trumpet Lily Blooms

Trumpet Lily Blooms
a Trumpet Lily (Lilium longiflorum) set out on my deck
on April 3, 2015, sketched on April  4, 2015
12" x 9", Winsor & Newton and Holbein watercolors, and
Uniball waterproof fade proof ink on 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico
cold press fine grain 100% cotton watercolor paper
framed, sold framed, $170 plus $9.35 sales tax plus $15.65 S&H = $195.00

Trumpeting Spring
by Bruce McMillan

The frozen ground is yielding mud.
The air is blowing windy cold.
I yearn for blossoms, just a bud,
a flower, spring, that I can hold.

And so I buy a blooming plant,
one to herald the season's change,
trumpeting notes, so confidant,
white blooms among white snow, so strange.

So I embrace my spring surprise,
forced flowers pushed beyond restraint,
that I brought here, my enterprise,
to lift my spirits and to paint.

poem © 2015 Bruce McMillan
not for reuse without permission

No comments: