Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Monhegan: Birders Don and John

Birders Don and John
in Cathedral Woods on Monhegan Island, Maine
on September 27, 2013, sketched on October 2, 2013

9"x 6" unframed, sold framed
$100 plus $5.50 sales tax plus $10 shipping


Don (in the lead) is birder Don Reimer, who writes a column for the Portland (Maine) Press Herald, Birding with Don Reimer, HERE. Don and his buddy, John Weinrich, were not only knowledgeable about birds but nicely personable as well.
    Knowledgeable? When I came across them in Monhegan Island's Cathedral Woods and we chatted, I described a bird call made with feathers that I'd enjoyed listening to in Iceland. Don thought a moment, pulled out his iPod, flipped through and played the sound right there in the Cathedral woods of Monhegan Island.
    "Is this it?" asked Don.
    Amazed, I replied, "Uh, yes. wow."
    "It's a snipe," said Don.
    I'd recommend any of Don's free Audubon bird outings.

No comments: